- Incoming Transmissions
- Album Reviews
- Free Music
- Show Reviews
- Upcoming Shows
- Artist Directory
When it comes to bands in the Upstate there is a large range of variety to choose from when looking for something new. I Am Carpenter is one of those bands that have begun to make a name for themselves by promoting their upcoming album, My God Clara, and playing shows left and right gaining a bigger fan base. Where’s Wolf is also an Upstate band that is new, but has a lot to offer with their interesting sound. Joining the lineup Friday night was Nashville’s Sound And Shape, which are currently touring the East Coast. With these three bands combined they put on a crowd pleasing energetic show.
Where’s Wolf is a newcomer in the local music scene for Greenville starting last November but after Friday night’s crowd reaction I would be surprised if you didn’t seem them around more often. Opening up the night they pulled the crowd in with upbeat lyrics and playful guitar riffs. To be a fairly new band they seem very comfortable with each other on stage and played off each others energy making it look like they are all having a great time. Both singers harmonize well together creating an eerie soft sound. Where’s Wolf is made up of 4 guys and one very small girl but don’t underestimate her because of her size. She has an unique voice and adds whimsical tones using the keys giving the band a little something different.
Sound and Shape is a 3-piece band that has a pop rock ‘n’ roll sound all together but when you dig a little deeper you can hear a little At The Drive In in those elaborate guitar leads. The drums are constant and fill out each song with a lot of cymbal play. Their album Hourglass is a good representation of exactly what they sound like live. Lead singer, Ryan Caudle, broke a string on stage and quickly grabbed his other guitar. Even though it was tuned a step lower, he tuned it up to what he needed throughout the whole song without stopping the music. You don’t see that in a lot of bands. On top of all this talent these guys are incredibly friendly and down to have an awesome time.
Ending it all was I Am Carpenter, recently adding two new members has helped give them a fuller and more powerful sound. For the first two songs they played as a 3-piece, to give everyone a listen of what it did sound like before, then finished out the rest of the set as a 5-piece. Talking with I Am Carpenter before the show they are all goofing off, making jokes, and acting like they don’t have a care in the world but as soon as they hit the stage all 5 guys dove straight into the music and got serious. Steven Cathcart has a smooth mellow voice but when he screams those lyrics you can feel all the emotion behind it. Austin Landers and Joe Walker are a great percussion team, wearing matching blue bandanas, keeping the beats and bass steady and hard. Jeremy McCullough adds great guitar leads to give them even more of an electric sound and Taylor Pescatore brings light keys and gets wild when he plays along with Joe on his own floor tom. Making I Am Carpenter a 5-piece has only improved an already great sound. Their full length and first album will be released August 24th.
Sound and Shape are making their way up the coast all throughout June, you can find their tour dates on Facebook. Keep an eye out for Where’s Wolf, I have a feeling and hope they become Greenville’s next big thing. I Am Carpenter is playing all over the place right now so if you see they are in your town or at your favorite bar do yourself a favor and go. Maybe even buy them a shot or two.
Oh yeah….and Austin Landers, he totally likes guys.
- INTERVIEW: Minus The Bear: Yesterday was the day I was able to make many of my...
- INTERVIEW: Fifteen Fifteen: While I'm always wishing there were more progressiv...
- BREAKING NEWS: Lionz of Zion lose member, to chang…: If you've paid any attention to the Upstate music s...
- RT @TheUpperFootage: Back! Re-tweet for a chance to get an early look at our new website and trailer! about 4 months ago
- been wondering what our staff has been up to? Wes's new venture, Fete Mobile Music is up on pg 40!: http://t.co/MsTos3ck about 7 months ago
- @jeremyleecamp thanks man the best is yet to come, I'm working on something new this Monday which I haven't even announced :) about 8 months ago in reply to jeremyleecamp
- thanks to everyone for the well wishes, the future's so bright i've gotta wear shades - Wes about 9 months ago
- All good things come to an end, thanks for the last year and a half everyone!: http://t.co/ytxfmbRo about 9 months ago