- Incoming Transmissions
- Album Reviews
- Free Music
- Show Reviews
- Upcoming Shows
- Artist Directory
If you are able to combine local music, booze, good food, and a little history all into one fantastic mixture of a show then you are able to do something that 99% of my ex girlfriends could not do and that is make me a very happy man (HEY-YOOO!). However, Jurassic Heat and The Monterreys will be making me a happy man when they play at Nu Way this Friday.
Let’s tackle the last three points first shall we? The Nu-Way Lounge is the oldest bar in Spartanburg and has the rep that goes along with it. They opened their doors in 1938 and have been rocking ever since, becoming part of Spartanburg lore. The Nu-Way is being continually nominated for awards such as 2011 Best Bar in Spartanburg and in 2010 Food Network Magazine named their “Red Neck Cheeseburger” as one of the best burgers in the whole damn country! An atmosphere this awesome should be enough to bring you out! If not, kind reader, please continue as we talk about the local music portion (seeing as this is a music site, this should not be a surprise.)
The Monterreys are a new band to me but they are fast becoming a favorite when my parents and I bust out the bourbon. A band that will make you have a good time whether you feel like it or not. Mixing the best parts of blue grass, americana, blues, and an almost country sound, these boys bring it. The Monterreys have a fearlessness that you don’t see with other bands. They are not afraid to shut up and just play their instruments. No need for lyrics, they let the guitar/bass/drums do they the talking. This band just knows how to have fun and you can feel it when they play.
One of the first bands I covered for WATU and one of my favorites, Jurassic Heat, will be tearing things up Friday. If for some reason you still haven’t heard this killer band, let me break it down for you. This is a band that makes you shake it even if you are one of those “too cool for school” cats who don’t dance. Trust me, you won’t be able to help yourself. They explode with this music that mixes sex, aggression, fun, and madness. Everything from Amy Quint’s vocals to Zach Toman’s guitar to the rhythm section of Steven Van Haren (drums) and Will Royster (bass) is in sync with this band. And if attractive lead singers is what you’re looking for, please refer to the picture at the top of the page. That’s Amy Quint.
Get on out to the Nu-Way on Friday night (06/08/12). Get there early. Have a burger. Enjoy some history. Stay for some great music. You will not consider your night a waste!
- INTERVIEW: Minus The Bear: Yesterday was the day I was able to make many of my...
- INTERVIEW: Fifteen Fifteen: While I'm always wishing there were more progressiv...
- BREAKING NEWS: Lionz of Zion lose member, to chang…: If you've paid any attention to the Upstate music s...
- RT @TheUpperFootage: Back! Re-tweet for a chance to get an early look at our new website and trailer! about 4 months ago
- been wondering what our staff has been up to? Wes's new venture, Fete Mobile Music is up on pg 40!: http://t.co/MsTos3ck about 7 months ago
- @jeremyleecamp thanks man the best is yet to come, I'm working on something new this Monday which I haven't even announced :) about 8 months ago in reply to jeremyleecamp
- thanks to everyone for the well wishes, the future's so bright i've gotta wear shades - Wes about 9 months ago
- All good things come to an end, thanks for the last year and a half everyone!: http://t.co/ytxfmbRo about 9 months ago