- Incoming Transmissions
- Album Reviews
- Free Music
- Show Reviews
- Upcoming Shows
- Artist Directory
Tonight at Handlebar, Charlotte’s own dirty folk punker, Andy the Doorbum will be invading Greenville alongside 2013 Wolves and Med School.
Andy the Doorbum’s music has been described as “weird” “uncut insanity,” not because he uses odd programming or off the wall samples, though. Rather, the lyrical material itself. The music itself is deceptively simple acoustic tracks mostly accompanied by Andy’s raspy vocals in a somewhat Tom Waits fashion. Additional arrangements, such as the more prominent violin, creep their way into the songs, but for the most part, the concentration lies in the harrowing storytelling as the meat for these creative ventures.
Accompanying Andy are fellow Queens City natives, 2013 Wolves, who are just as fittingly unique. This experimental Southern band comes off almost as, part folk, part experimental metal. The music itself is loud, heavy and driven by pronounced guitar riffs and thunderous drums; however, the vocals (when they come) come across like furious folk singers in songs such as “Trenches $ Money Hype.” Part metal, part post-rock, part folk, park southern rock: 2012 Wolves are definitely in a league of their own creation, whom you could hear right here.
Rounding out the bill are Greenville’s own Med School. Though the project is recorded primarily by Colton Barnes, he’s also joined by Jose Davila, Joe Shirley III, and Wells Alewine. The band is ever-changing blend of ambient noise, rock, psychedelic, folk and blues. Vocals are sparsely interwoven in a reverberated fashion, making them seem more like another instrumental element rather than a separate entity, as is often the case.
If you’re looking to venture into something you won’t find on the radio that will challenge as well as entertain you, look no further than the Handlebar tonight! Show starts at 8 and the door is only $5.
- INTERVIEW: Chris Tollack of WSBF in Clemson: Here's the scene: you're in your car, your iPo...
- RETROGRADE: Hum – Downward Is Heavenward by Josh M…: Sometimes we know it can be all business over her...
- BREAKING NEWS: Lionz of Zion lose member, to chang…: If you've paid any attention to the Upstate music s...
- RT @TheUpperFootage: Back! Re-tweet for a chance to get an early look at our new website and trailer! about 5 months ago
- been wondering what our staff has been up to? Wes's new venture, Fete Mobile Music is up on pg 40!: http://t.co/MsTos3ck about 8 months ago
- @jeremyleecamp thanks man the best is yet to come, I'm working on something new this Monday which I haven't even announced :) about 9 months ago in reply to jeremyleecamp
- thanks to everyone for the well wishes, the future's so bright i've gotta wear shades - Wes about 10 months ago
- All good things come to an end, thanks for the last year and a half everyone!: http://t.co/ytxfmbRo about 10 months ago